Letters from the Hawaii Honolulu Mission

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Week 2

Aloha everyone,
         Sorry Jake, I got your message you sent me on dear elder, but I forgot to write down your email and didn't bring it with me, so you will just have to get a forward again like last week haha. Things are still going pretty smooth here. This week we have really focused on listening to the Spirit as we teach and following the promptings on what the investigator wants and needs to here.

        We received our travel plans on Thursday last week. I'm definitely excited to get out in the world and preach the gospel! We are flying on US Airways and we fly out of Salt Lake at about 7:10am Tuesday morning, which means we have to report to the MTC travel office at 4am. I guess that means we need to be up by at least 3:30am or 11:30pm Hawaiian time. We are just gonna take an hour flight to Phoenix and then lay over for about 3 hours before heading on to Honolulu. I assume I'll get to make a call at some point in Phoenix although we haven't really heard anything on the matter. The plan says we should arrive around 2:30pm Hawaiian. I hope to get some sleep on the plane or I won't get to sleep until 10:30pm meaning 23 straight hours of no sleep.

We sang in the choir again this week. Mom asked when we sang. We practiced for an hour on Sunday and then an hour before the fireside on Tuesday. We sang at the fireside Tuesday night. This week we sang "Come Thou Font of Every Blessing." The Spirit sure was strong. Elder Sybrowsky of the seventy spoke. It was about missionary work and to just keep going even when the day is bad and you aren't having much success. He made some great points that I think will really help me become a better missionary.
        This week is the new mission president training week. The MTC is really preparing for it. All of the apostles are supposed to be here through out the week, so everyone is keeping their eyes out for apostles and the prophet. There is a special fireside Friday night. No one really knows what it's gonna be about or who is going to speak, but with all the stuff going on I think its going to be one to rememeber for sure. Unfortunately the gym is closed until we leave because of the training so we have to go outside for PE.
        I said goodbye to a couple elders this week that I have become great friends with. I said "see ya in 23 months" to Elder Hutchins Monday night. He seemed ready to go and I'm sure he is going to be great in New York. Also Elder Nickle, from the district in the rooms next to ours, had to leave yesterday because of some health problems, so that was sad to see him go. He played for Timpanogas High School and remembered when we played them down at camp before my senior year. We have become really close friends and hopefully doctors can figure out whats bothering him and he can get out into the field.
        The district is getting along great. We are also really getting to know the Swedish and Nordic Elders who are in the branch. I scored a zip tie from one of the of of the Elders going to Norway (don't judge me!) His name is Aldste(Elder) Strange from Timpview. Its great for when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to tie a regular tie- I can just put that on and jump out the door.
        Not a lot really planned for this week. We just have about 4 teaching appointments with our "progressing investigators". These are our teachers posing as people they taught on their missions and answer the way they would. It was really tough to teach the first few times we met with them, but as we have learned more in class, we have been teaching better and connecting with them better. Monday we have infield orientation and then time to pack and then we will be ready to head out to the Islands.
        Well my time is far spent. I enjoyed all the letters from everyone. Don't hesitate to send more ha ha! I got the package with my Carolina shorts and all the treats. The huge bag of M&Ms is a hit with all the Elders. We still have plenty of it left, but we sure ate a ton the last couple of nights. The next email I send will be from Hawaii, not sure when P-day is, but I assume it will be Wednesday. I guess we will find out. Hope all is well back in Utah and Hawaii, or wherever you are when you read this. ALOHA!
                                                                                                    Love, Elder Tripp

No comments:

Post a Comment