Letters from the Hawaii Honolulu Mission

Monday, December 12, 2011

Transfer plans are set

So there will be no Ka'u for Christmas, and no Kaneohe or anywhere else on Oahu for Christmas. It was a little rough hearing that I would be transferred, but the writing was on the wall. This week has seemed to flown by really fast so I'll see what I can remember from what happened.
 
Monday was just a typical day in Hilo with a delicious dinner as usual with sister Fujikawa. Weird to think that tonight will be the last one I have at their house as a missionary most likely. I guess I could hopefully come back and visit sometime.
 
Tuesday was just a typical morning. It rained really hard on Hilo side on the way in. District meeting was pretty normal. One of the Zone leaders predicted that Elder Copier and I would be companions someday, which was for sure a bright spot, I hope it is revelation. Anyway we caught a ride with Kea'au to district meeting and due to the rain we got caught stuck in a puddle so it took us a bit to figure out how we were going to get out, but once we got towed out we headed home for Ka'u in the rain. I don't remember if I mentioned that we finally got a ward mission leader last week, but we had our 1st correlation meeting with him on Tuesday night over dinner which was really nice. I think things are only going to go up in Ka'u well I hope anyway. It seems like members are really starting to catch fire with sharing the gospel which is awesome.
 
Wednesday we taught Pule and his son Tui about baptism and the Holy Ghost. Recently Tui has had some things come that have really got him interested in the gospel again and it is super exciting. We committed him to a date on January 21st so I am super excited for him, and I know he can do what he needs to to have that special day in January. Dinner was at the Naboa's for the last time. We took some pictures and stuff which was good. I plan to stop by tomorrow and say a final goodbye to them.
 
Thursday and Friday we didn't have a ton on our plate for investigators, but we went and made our rounds with less actives and with members to go do some of their home teaching to the less active families in the ward. It has been an emphasis from President Dalton that we visit all less active, and part member families in the ward so we are working hard with that. Some came to church yesterday, so that always makes it more exciting to go out and work harder. Dinner was nice at L&L and the Taetuna's for those days.
 
Saturday we headed up into Hilo for our monthly car wash. It was a super success 4 people from the car wash ended up showing up to their ward sacrament meeting which was a miracle, and a few more gave information to come teach them more. It just builds my testimony that a little service here and there does wonders for people, and helps them see the love our Heavenly Father has for them. We hurried home to talk to a referral from a member we received on Tuesday. He said he was busy and needed to do some things before dark, but invited us back to talk on Sunday.
 
Yesterday was a great church block. I refused to let them sing "Aloha Oe" because it wasn't official yet, even if it was pretty much a sure thing. It would have made me cry to so that a bonus. Brother Phillips felt inspired to to have us teach the lesson of the Restoration for Gospel Principles. I thought it was a great idea, the Spirit was incredibly strong during the lesson, especially when one the the recently activated members bore a strong testimony about how he had trouble believing how much God loved him, because he had a rough time with his dad growing up, but once he had kids and realized how much he loved his kids, he understood how much love Heavenly Father has for us.  It was so awesome! Tui also came to church which was a great step in that direction for him. :) Bishop fed us Steak and raw potatoes with some Opehe, which is a small clam type thing that is pretty good with some Hawaiian salt. The potato was for me, I had been telling Bishop for a while that I could eat a whole raw potato and he didn't believe me so I ate 2 yesterday. After we ate we took pictures and headed up to Kea'au to get our transfer plans.
 
So it turns out that I am the only one leaving from Kea'au district and I have 2 flights booked in my name. The 1st is at 6:15 or something and is headed to Honolulu. The 2nd one leaves at 9:30 and it is headed to the only place even comparable to Ka'u, so I hear. any guesses? well it starts with M and their are only 4 elders on the whole island. Yep you got it Molokai! It is kinda exciting to be headed there. I hear it is one of the favorites in the mission, although I was kinda hoping to get somewhere a little closer to Wal-mart and stuff. It will be cool that Bishop's wife is from Molokai and her dad is the WML so that will be exciting I think. It is definitely going to be something new, but I am glad for the opportunity. I have felt very blessed in Ka'u and I know I was their for a reason. I know their is work for Elder Tripp to do on other islands and that this truly is Heavenly Fathers work! Glad to hear the 3 of you can make the Sun bowl, and that things are going well Jake. I got the card from the Hawaiian Tripps this week. Go ahead and send the package this week mom, but make sure you send it to the office they will know my address where I'll end up. Also remind everyone to send things to USPS to the office too as well and not to the Ka'u address thanks. Sister Smiley called and said a Fed Ex package came for me in the office. I told her to keep it there until transfers are over, and then they can get it to me. Hopefully someone can bring it by the Airport Wednesday, but I may just have to tell them to take it off my JP card. The Christmas Ornament looks pretty cool, be sure to tell Krista thanks!
Sorry this email is kinda short. We had to email at the library today, and we don't get a ton of time. Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers and letters. I love to hear from you! Merry Christmas and Aloha!
            Love Elder Tripp
 
Ps I am sending home my mission blanket and ram skin and a few t shirts I want to save from Hawaii. I am also sending home a couple of pair of pants that I don't really need and have slight tears so if you could sew them that would be nice for after my mission, but don't send them back to me. I will also send home some pictures so be on watch for that. Love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment