Letters from the Hawaii Honolulu Mission

Monday, August 6, 2012

Aloha from da 808


Hey everyone,
 
Seems to have been a really short week. Can't remember a ton of highlights. We do have a baptism on Sunday set up which is exciting, but sadly I think the other 2 have dropped off probably for sure in our ward, but possibly they will still be baptized in Lanakila ward. Some frustrating things happened this week that have gotten in the way of that, but hopefully things will still work out for them, even if it is in another ward. Anyway, we did have zone conference as well which was fun. I always enjoy Zone Conference. I think President Dalton always gives some good thoughts and motivations. We did get our goal of 125. We had 6 miracle baptisms on Tuesday to reach our goal. even though we didn't have any here. 2 from Molokai and one from Ka'u that I helped teach decided to be baptized last month so that is exciting to hear. Sounds like everything is going well. Yes Mom I did get my pillow and as for clothes I could use a pair or 2 of size 42-36 pants, but please make sure they are really 36 the last ones you sent seemed to be a few inches longer even though they said 36. I could use 3-4 shirts. a half or whole size bigger than what I bought when I left would be nice. I can't remember however what size that is though I'll check. and one pair of shorts will be nice preferably silver or red or some other darker color. Thanks for everything. I think it would be easier for me to just order garments so I'll look into that.
 
Anyways Tuesday we did not have typical district meeting because of zone conference. We did however find a new part member family that is mostly new from American Samoa. They have been coming over one by one for the past few months. The Husband is a non member and came for the 1st time ever to an LDS church last week. We invited him to take the lessons and set a return appointment which was exciting. He seems to have great potential.
 
Wednesday we spent getting ready a little for Zone conference  We had to prepare talks in case we were called on to give them, and Elder King needed some time to prepare his part of the training for the event. We did still go find some people to teach. We met a guy from Seattle here for about a year that had lived in Missouri and been to the liberty Jail and other church sites who is interested in learning more about the church. HE is pentacostal but said he would be happy to read The Book Of Mormon and pray about it. I hope things go well with him.
 
Zone Conference was lots of fun. It was really fun to see Elder Maughan, who served in the other ward on Molokai while i was there, and Elder Hudson. They both seem to be doing well. Elder Hudson seems to be picking up more weight in the Tongan ward. He said he misses the Tripp family. The theme of the conference was about returning to the basics. President told a story about Coach John Wooden. President is from Southern Cal so he always likes to highlight things from there. Anyway he mentioned about how the 1st day of practice Coach Wooden would teach his players the proper way to put on their shoes and socks because if those aren't right they can cause mistakes. We also got to watch a Youtube video some one had made about great athletes and how being great starts with believing you can be great. I enjoyed it very much especially the scenes from Rocky and Friday Night Lights that we in the video. All in all I enjoyed it very much. After we ended up going with Elder Lepule and his companion to Pizza Hut buffet and called it a night.
 
Friday because of District leader meeting, I was with Elder Lepule for the morning. We went to visit some people in both of our wards and saw some success. He is a lot of fun. I would love if he was my companion in a Samoan ward. That evening we visited some more part member families and had some good lessons. Slowly people are progressing through which is fun.
 
Saturday we actually did some service. I have been kinda lost without service. We haven't done much since I have been here which is a huge change from Molokai where we did plenty of service. The ward kinda planned a huge service project for lots of the Elderly it was lots of fun and an effective use of Saturday. It seems like we never find people home because they go beach, It was good to serve those in the ward, and share the gospel with them.
 
Yesterday we had a Marathon lunch while the Womens' marathon was on. A guy stopped us as we walked by his apt and invited us in for lunch. They are a Samoan family recently from Samoa. It was a typical feast with all the traditional foods. I always feel like my pants will rip when I get up from a meal like that. Church was nice. The testimonies were strong. I enjoy singing hymns in Samoan. It was fun to sing how firm a foundation in Samoan.
 
Well that's what I have this week. Sorry it is fairly short sounds like your trip was fun to Colorado glad the Gaints won. George I know people like Hotel Molokai to stay. As For eating the Cook house in Kualapuu is really good and I also enjoy Pizza cafe. You will need cash for those places though. Snorkeling seems to have some good spots off the east end and I know people like to go at Moomomi beach but I don't know how it is. The fish and dive place in town will probably know of some good spots. Sounds like fun to visit. Happy Birthday to Lucy Tomorrow. Thanks for all of your Emails I love you all. To fa Soifua! Aloha!
 
Love, Elder Tripp

No comments:

Post a Comment